What is the Green Office Program?
The Green Office Program is a voluntary and competitive program that rewards staff and faculty for adopting more sustainable practices. The program seeks to:
- Help offices understand how sustainable their current operations are
- Train members and provide resources on ways offices can operate more efficiently and sustainably
- Reward and recognize offices for reducing their ecological footprint
The program is designed to make becoming more sustainable easy and fun! The Office of Sustainability provides a Green Office Checklist, which establishes a point system for each sustainable action. More points are rewarded for actions that have the largest positive ecological impact. Our office is here to provide resources and consultation to help guide Green Teams through the four levels of certification.
UMBC’s 2020 Climate Action Plan has established a commitment to be carbon neutral by 2050. While Facilities Management and other campus stakeholders will be working diligently on projects to reduce our carbon footprint, reaching net-zero emissions involves the whole UMBC community. The Green Office program is an opportunity for your office to come together and help our campus reach our goals.
Joining and getting certified in the program involves 6 simple steps!
Invite the Office of Sustainability to your next all-staff meeting to give a small 10 min presentation on the program and UMBC sustainability. To set up a Green Office presentation email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Get staff and faculty approval within your office space to join the program.
- Set up a small group of passionate individuals in your office tasked with implementing the program. This will be your office’s Green Team and the point of contact with the Office of Sustainability.
- Review and fill out your office’s baseline assessment. Before filling out your baseline assessment we recommend reviewing all the questions in the PDF version.
- The Office of Sustainability will review your baseline submission and schedule a meeting with your Green Team.
- Review your checklist, receive points for sustainable actions, level-up, and get rewarded!