Sustainable Food at UMBC:
- Learn about the UMBC Dining Sustainability Commitment
- Join the Fair Trade Campaign
- Learn how to compost food scraps at the Commons & dining hall
- Check out the student led campus community garden & food forest
- Dining Services’ listing of vegetarian and vegan options on campus
- View the “Finding Food” guide to edible plants growing on campus (created by a student!)
Join a group:
The UMBC Wellness Initiative proclaims: we are a resilient, healthy community committed to the health and well being of each of our faculty, staff, and students. We understand the connection between self-care and our responsibility to care for the whole.
The Garden is a Social Action and Service Organization dedicated to helping re-imagine the role of higher education in addressing problems of the world through the creation and engagement of our food garden that enables creativity in: research, applied learning, campus-community partnerships, social equity, diversity, and food sovereignty.
Our chapter of the Food Recovery Network (FRN) strives to promote awareness of the global issue with food waste, recover leftovers from campus dining venues, such as Outtakes and Au Bon Pain, recover leftovers from campus events, *by “recover”, we mean to take the leftovers to a local homeless shelter. If you would like to prevent food waste, feed hungry people, give back to the local community, and build service/leadership skills then join our movement! We also intend to conduct other services such as food drives, fundraisers, and serving meals in the community.